Sunday, October 18, 2009

Updates on Harry via e-mail

Hi!,
Dan, Cindy, and Brenda-You should get email updates when this blog gets a post.

10 comments:

  1. Hi!
    Just making sure you all get email updates!
    Sady

    ReplyDelete
  2. Make sure you become a "follower" and your comments will appear on the blog for all to see.
    Look at Mike's: steppenbaby.blogspot.com

    Thought you might wants to see this lovely MOM pic

    ReplyDelete
  3. I pray that the anti-depressants work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is my first attempt at blogging so here I go...Mom and I visited Dad today. He was a bit surly at first, but he was in a pretty good mood when we left. The social worker(Cynthia) said Dad might be going home on Friday. She gave me some info on a medication dispenser that alarms when it is time to take the meds and actually calls someone if the person fails to take them. I dispensses 60 doses,which is great because it would only really have to be filled twice a month. On a happier note, at music time, dad was selected to help lead the group, standing,and with animated hand motions to "Let me call you Sweetheart!" He chuckled when he told me, so he does seem to be getting better. I will try to follow up on the med dispenser and let you know what I find. Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  5. Has anyone heard an inkling of what the doctors think about dad, or do we have to wait for Friday, or will they only speak with Mom? Or maybe Sandy because she has poa or whatever hippa ____ you need to be included in on the diagnosis? I like the idea about the pill dispenser, but Mom would have to be around to hear the alarm. Then she would have to tell dad, and I think that's how all this happened in the first place. She might be able to just say, "Harry, your alarm went off", and maybe he won't take that as mom telling him what to do. Dad flat outright abuses mom, and he hates to listen to her tell him anything, even as innocent a thing as "Harry, did you take your pills today?" Does Dad realize that there are (for lack of a better phrase) mentally challenged people on that floor? I have to admit the part about music time was cute. Did anyone ever find his hearing aids? Anything about dad participating in ANY group activity is endearing to hear. And I really appreciate that you blogged here to let me know. Thank you so much for that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Today Mom went to see Dad. She said he was talking fast and told him about everybody there, including a woman who likes to expose herself. At two o'clock he saw a Dr. Oza who was a fill in for Dr. Kapoor. I had called Dr. Eisengart regarding Dad's obsessive scratching of his eye. He told me he authorized Dr. Oza to give Dad some drops to stop the itching, although he acknowledged that Dad may be experiencing an allergic reaction to one of the eyedrops he had been prescribed. When he comes home I am supposed to stop the Alphagan drops to see if that helps. As far as the Philips Medication Dispensing service is concerned, it is a monthly rental of $75 with a $21.95 shipping charge and an $85 fee for the technician to come out and set it up. That takes about 5 business days after ordering. That is all I know, so you all can decide if that sounds like something we should do. Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, they won't let him out at least until Monday. He has been a bad boy.

    We found out Southwest screwed up and took him off Aricept. He seems to have gone downhill this week. I asked the social worker to ask if he could
    continue taking it.
    The doctor never called me. Tomorrow someone from
    Kemper House will meet with us at 1:30 at mom's.
    Brenda went to see dad. He was swearing at people.
    Hopefully his BP will come down and he will calm down. I hope the medicines help him.
    I sent out a prayer request to our church to pray for Dad and our family.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mom and I picked up Dad and brought him home today. He was happy if not a bit subdued.(very appreciative of being outside and coming home.)
    He led the exercise group this morning and told everyone goodbye. He told me later he felt he inspired the group, at least with the exercise. Dan came over and went to pick up the scripts. Unfortunately the doctor never called in with a few scripts, so Dan spent a lot of time waiting and had to leave without 2 scripts. Luckily Peter was nearby and he prescibed the missing meds and picked them up. I tried to simplify the times dad takes the meds and Sandy and/ or I will be there when dad takes his am meds. I talked to Aunt Tina yesterday and filled her in. She wants to be kept up to date. Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for that one, Bren---I like the part where Dad felt he inspired the group. ;) Hopefully, the group inspired him. And hopefully the doctors told him that he is abusive. I would like SOMEONE to tell him that. It can't come from any of us. I doubt that he could even comprehend that, because it is a daily behavior. Even if it bought Mom just one day of peace, it would be worth it. She is the strongest woman I know.

    ReplyDelete